Mental Health & Wellbeing
Mental Health is a person’s condition with regard to their psychological and emotional well-being
The emotional health and wellbeing of all members of Langstone Junior Academy (including staff, children and parents) is fundamental to our philosophy and ethos of care and respect.
Our vision is to develop a school community through our holistic care approach where adults and children feel valued and supported and enjoy a welcoming, secure, happy and healthy environment, developing self-confidence, self-motivation, independence, compassion, tolerance and understanding of others.
Our Holistic Care approach
Our holistic care approach is built upon three areas:
Wellbeing is the state of feeling healthy and happy.
At Langstone, we ensure that children and staff are healthy and happy by:
- Providing regular opportunities, in addition to play times, for movement breaks through our ‘Langstone Laps’.
- Facilitating a range of lunch time and afterschool sports clubs.
- Hosting community events such as summer fayres and school discos.
- Mindful me: An online and after school provision for the children to engage in calming, mindful activities.
- Nurture support and pastoral care, provided by the designated Nurture Team: 1:1 and small group emotional literacy support work with your child. Helping them to create positive strategies and overcome the overwhelm of big emotions.
- Calm Café: Supporting staff to support the children.
- To use accessible language to describe complicated emotions and feelings by using language in the Mortal Fool’s production – Melva
A safeguarding curriculum
Safeguarding is not just actively monitored at Langstone Junior Academy but taught to our children throughout various parts of the curriculum.
Meet the Holistic Care Team:
Parents / Carers who have any concerns about their child’s emotional health and wellbeing should initially contact their child’s class teacher.
If that is not possible or you need source help for yourself or your family, please contact Mrs Wessels Email: [email protected]
Click here to find out about a wealth of organisations, services and websites to assist you with mental health.
Click Here to find use links and phone numbers for help with domestic abuse.
Links by Topic
Below are useful links with a wealth of information regarding the following mental Health Topics.
- Mind – This is a charity which offers advice and support, especially around the ‘5 ways to wellbeing.’ https://www.mind.org.uk/workplace/mental-health-at-work/taking-care-of-yourself/five-ways-to-wellbeing/ For Parents
- YoungMinds – This website offers advice for you to help your children and a free telephone service. Call the Parents Helpline: 0808 802 5544 (Monday to Friday 9.30am – 4pm, free for mobiles and landlines). https://youngminds.org.uk/resources/ For parents to help children
- Anna Freud – A Mental Health Charity providing high quality mental health resources: advice and guidance for parents and carers in conflict and separating, self-care, tips for shared decision making and podcasts about a range of child centred-subjects, https://www.annafreud.org/parents-and-carers/ For parents to help their children as well as help for parents when feeling overwhelmed
- Public Health England and the NHS – Offer advice on how to take simple steps to look after your mental health, improve their mental wellbeing and support others. https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/ For Parents
- Resilience – https://www.heysigmund.com/building-resilience-children/ For parents to help children
- Every mind matters (NHS website dedicated to mental health and wellbeing) https://www.nhs.uk/every-mind-matters/supporting-others/childrens-mental-health/ For parents to help children
Calming Activities, Mindfulness, Breathing, Yoga Videos and More…
- Childline Calm-Zone. https://www.childline.org.uk/toolbox/calm-zone For Children
- Cosmic Yoga – https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga For Children
- An activity for grounding and calming. https://kristinamarcelli.wordpress.com/2015/07/14/hold-a-sense-of-inner-peace-with-you-wherever-you-go/ For Children + Parents
- Just Breathe – A video aimed at children to help them feel calmer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVA2N6tX2cg For Children
- 150 Sensory Learning Ideas. https://inclusiveteach.com/2020/03/20/150-sensory-learning-ideas For Children + Parents
- ‘100 positive things every kid needs to hear’. https://raising-independent-kids.com/100-positive-things-every-kid-needs-hear For Children + Parents